Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Armchair Training (day 1)

Day one - Armchair training. (in theory as I'm off for the next few weeks recovering from surgery, I can get some actual training spurts in).

OK, what to train, in theory I'm sitting around doing nothing recovering from surgery, I've farmed one dog out, so have only one to train... hmm and I've been saying I need to work on shaping

I know, put dog toy in basket (did I mention I'm a lumper). Oh, the laundry baskets are downstairs, oops, hmm what else, oh there's a rusted cookie tray (don't ask), that will do. Clicker-- I know there are 32 (or at least a dozen) in the house, why can't I find one... Oh look the cool one that makes all the neat sounds....

OK, toy, treats, dog, clicker, here we go.... lets see, step one, pick up toy. 3 repeats, good, oh, oops the toy is apparently better than the treats as the Beaker monster has retreated to her lair to chew on the toy.

Off to find a new toy. Oh, that one should work (bumper), it doesn't squeak. Ouch (note to self, raising right arm above shoulders is painful, who put that toy there anyway).

Ah, I see "what last paid" and "default behaviour" are very strong. Despite not having trained article indication (down with chin near article) for months, that's what I'm getting. Ok a few trials and we've got "pick up toy and look hopeful"...

whoops, need to take a really quick bathroom break.... hmm still some treats on coffee table, ok, classic ending of treats on floor, cat and dog munching treats (note to self, didn't I say something about clicker training the cat that won't leave me alone when I'm clicker training the dogs)...

More later (which turns out to be tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment